This Barbera is a rich, well-structured wine characterized by an intense nose of pleasantly fruit with reminiscent of plums and bitter cherries. Its colour is deep ruby-red color that graduates towards garnet red when it age. It is a full-bodied wine whose flavours become more balanced and appealing as it matures.
Served at 18°C it is perfect with pasta dishes and ravioli, as well as with main courses based on meat such as stews and roasts. Interesting with medium mature cheeses, like Parmigiano, Pecorino and the local Toma cheese. The wine can be drunk now, but it will continue to develop its elegance and balance for 5-10 years.
Barbera d’Asti is one of the most famous wine from Piedmont. It became a DOC in 1970 and was upgraded to its DOCG classification in 2008, adding to Piedmont's already impressive standing at this highest level of Italian wine classification. Barbera d'Asti is a particularly good ageing wine, with the potential to reward cellaring for up to 8-10 years.
- Grape variety: 100% Barbera
- Viticulture area: Costigliole d’Asti
- Soil: Medium consistency clay and lime
- Vineyard altitude: 175 m above sea level
- Pruning: Guyot
- Harvest & vinification: End of September or beginning of October. Temperature controlled maceration and fermentation for approx. 10 days at 30°C. After the malolactic fermentation the wine matures for several months in steel tanks before it is released for sale in the spring following the year.